A Hollywood Insider's View of
the Independent Film Business
This seminar is not a production manual on how to shoot a film; most of you figure that out in your own unique way or head off to “film school” for direction. Instead, this seminar focuses on teaching you the knowledge of Hollywood reality, how to make money once you have created your film, the pitfalls you can expect, and the successes you can accomplish if you structure your career wisely!
What you need to be a success in the independent film industry is a unique, practical guide through the intricacies of the business side of the independent film industry taught from a Film Industry insider with many years of actual experience in producing and distributing independent films. I will guide you through the real world of film funding, producing, business affairs, sales, marketing and distribution using real examples from films that I have either produced or distributed myself.
My Film Biz Seminar will provide you the tools and strategies needed for you and your film to be successful.
10 REASONS TO ATTEND MY SEMINAR:
- Look at “about me” video.
- Look at “seminars” video.
- I guarantee you that you will learn more about the film business in these two days than any film school.
- 25 years of producing, financing and selling independent feature films.
- Produced over 20 indie films (go to IMDB). I will give you real life film experiences from the films I have produced – a unique and practical insight.
- Prepared over a hundred film business plans.
- Up to date information and strategies on DIY/internet distribution and film financing options
- Educator - Full time teaching Professor at the University of Miami.
- Owned & operated, a Los Angeles based, film sales agency.
- Attended many film festivals and film markets.
- Isn’t it best to learn from someone who has done it, lived it, made films, sold films and made money !……… that’s me… and who can also teach it better than most!
- Dollar for dollar, the best course on the independent film business.
- Ok … I can’t count, it is more than 10 reasons!
(Click Seminar Segment Buttons to See Topics Covered)
Creative & Producing
'Create for Success'
Profitability begins with selecting a marketable “package” – the script, talent and director. I will teach you how these and the other creative aspects of a film work together to contribute to the film’s commerciality, both in domestic and foreign markets.
Film Financing & Strategy
'Show Me The Money'
You get nowhere in this biz without money! Funding films, including your own, will be extensively discussed in the seminar. You will be given a complete picture of how both independent and studio films are funded. Topics will include equity, LLC, soft money and pre-sales. And, as always, practical examples of actual film projects will be used to highlight financing scenarios and provide potential solutions.
'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly'
The mysterious world of sales and getting your money back – the good, the bad and the ugly! Are sales agents good for you? This portion of the film biz is extremely complicated and, without proper insight, it is all too easy to get taken advantage of. This section will teach you about all parties involved in the sales process how they can benefit you and an in depth look at pre-sales. I will discuss, from experience, what to be careful of when making contracts and agreements. Also, you will learn film revenue streams, where the money is and how to keep it!
Marketing & Distribution
'Do it yourself?'
No matter how good a film is, without a well thought out and cost effective marketing strategy your film’s chance of success is diluted. Let me provide you with an in depth look at the tools and strategies of a successful film marketing campaign in today’s market place which will include internet marketing and direct to consumer DVD distribution and of course VOD. This section will cover the marketing and distribution strategy behind how to launch your own film and the necessary marketing mix including social networking/web 2.0, in order to be successful.
Upcoming Seminar Dates
February 11th, 2012